The Transition Between Rehabilitation And General Life
It is more difficult remaining abstinent for long even after doing a great work to reach the level of abstinence. Setting up goals and developing new hobbies are a few methods that can be used during the effort to stay sober.
It is easier to stay clean in a rehab centre because the environment is controlled, devoid of any factors that had earlier pushed toward addiction.
Provision of opportunities of restoration and survival and a strong background of safety are provided by rehabilitation that keeps one going while at home.
Getting back to normal life sometimes becomes challenging after a person leaves the rehab clean.
Being able to recognize your stressors or triggers proves very helpful in maintaining status quo. Staying sober after leaving the facility becomes easier because of the education.
Avoiding Temptations After Coming Out Of Rehab
The transition of moving from a supported environment back to normality can be a challenging task for an addict who has recovered.
Circumstances that may precipitate relapse to previous unhealthy lifestyle are often faced by going back home.
You will have to go back to the past environment where you used to be an addict and this is what gives you the desire to go back to the drugs or alcohol.
However, there are activities that can divert your attention from the drugs such as
- Establish Positive Relationships and Support System
- Find yourself among positive friends and loved ones who genuinely care for your welfare.
- Participate in support groups or have a reliable confidant who will not only police your negative tendencies but also holds you accountable for your actions and commitment.
- Your Atmosphere Should Be Altered
- After leaving the facility and before reaching home, you should be asking a loved one or an individual you trust to discard any paraphernalia from your place.
- You can also keep off environments where there drugs are being sold.
- Commit To Realistic And Achievable Goals
- When you have a set of goals for the future, it will become much simpler for you to manage the temptations as and when they arise.
- Staying sober becomes easier when you know and define why you want sobriety and how your life will be richer for it.
- Don't Miss Group Or Personal Therapy Sessions
- If you have a set of follow-up appointments scheduled with your rehabilitation centre or the doctor you should not be looking to avoid the meetings.
- Always keep in mind that the experience and information you will get from your counsellors will equip you with skills and coping mechanisms that you may not figure on your own.
- Always be grateful for how far you have come in your recovery journey.
- Becoming aware of the good things in your life will make you realize that you are indeed lucky, and then you wouldn't want to throw them away.
- You can keep a journal of your life's journey throughout the days that you have left the rehab facility.
- Create Fresh Healthy Habits, Replace The Old Ones
- Look for a fresh practice that is good and keep doing it over and over again because according to a research documented in the European Journal of Social Psychology, the time for a new practice to be second nature to one is about two months.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Engage With Positive Recreational Activities Or Pastimes
Forming positive habits and participating in healthy activities to pass time are highly recommended forms of distraction.
There are a lot of activities and new hobbies that you can take part in when you are living a clean life.
If you are wondering whether you should be going back to the rehab or feel a need for some help to stay on a sober path after the rehab, please contact us now on 0800 246 1509 for the help you need.
The following are some of the things you can take part in
- Spending time in museum
- Pursuing a degree or going back to school
- Study new cultures and linguistics
- Plant a garden
- Volunteer work
Join Social Groups For A Support Feeling
In your post rehabilitation days, social groups that help to develop you can be found irrespective of your location. Become part of such a group by enrolling into a support group and group therapy.
Participation in numerous types of continuing care, which include therapy, check-ups, 12-step meetings and alternative support groups is also recommended.
The Possibility Of Going Out Without Relapsing
Temptations are easy to come by during the initial stages after a recovery has been completed, and individuals at this stage will be more vulnerable to succumb to temptation, therefore, it is best completely to avoid getting into situations when the temptations could be triggered. The urge to drink can overpower someone and make them relapse on their recovery.
With that said, if you know that you'll be in a situation where people around you might be drinking and some might even offer you one, you can use a time-tested strategy to overcome temptation.
Avoiding temptation to drink in social gatherings
- Try not to go alone; instead take someone who's close to you and who doesn't drink.
- Have in hand a non-alcoholic beverage which will keep your senses occupied.
- Arrive after schedule and depart before its end, to reduce time spent at the gathering.
- Depart immediately if you begin to feel uncomfortable or tempted.
The Benefits Of Getting And Staying Off The Alcohol And Drugs
Your health improves in more than one ways when you stay clean; your liver and heart start functioning more effectively and you sleep better. However, more than your health are other important things that contribute to your well-being as a person. The reasons to remain sober include
- Getting to meet new abstinent people
- Having new investments
- Enjoyment of living
- More energy to do things
- Having a positive look
- Becoming an example and a source of anticipation for others who could be struggling with an addiction
Giving up an addiction, whether of alcohol or any other drug, is the most difficult thing. The devotion and struggle might be throughout one's life it is never simple and fast. Simply by making an effort to remain sober you will have acquired new strength by overcoming the problems that you thought you would not be able to achieve.
You must be willing to keep clean for you to be successful. Keep your focus on the ultimate prize of sobriety no matter what is thrown your way.