College Pupils And Drug Overuse
College life to some is often associated with parties where binge drinking and abuse of recreational and prescription drugs are common.
Among the total drug abusers throughout the country students in college hold the premier position and are one of the largest groups.
Young individuals [ages 18 to 24] are already at an increased risk of addiction.
Many pupils suffer social anxiety when first going to college. They can join social circles where they start using alcohol and eventually get addicted to it. Binge drinking is not something that every student starts doing as soon as he enters college, but drinking on a regular basis pushes many students onto the path of addiction.
It is surprising to know that students enrolled to attend college full time are 2x more likely to become addicts or drug abusers compared to those who are out of school.
Top Reasons Behind High Addiction Rates In College Students
The percentage of drug abusers among college students is on the higher side and is attributed to a number of factors, including the following
- There are many activities in colleges such as internships, exams and social life that can exert some pressure to students causing them to resort to using drugs.
- Course Load
- The pressure to complete their assignments within the due dates leads more students to begin taking stimulants such as Adderall, which can help them to stay awake late at night for the studies.
- Most of the times, medical practitioners are not the ones that have advised or prescribed these drugs to the students.
- Students tend to experiment whilst in college, exploring new aspects of both their personal and professional lives.
- Many students start using drugs to satisfy their curiosity about these things.
- Group/Social/Peer Pressure
- Sometimes a student may start indulging in alcoholism just because some of their friends are doing so.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Prevalence Of Diet Pills And Eating Disorders In Campus
Eating disorders are highly common among college students who are considered to be at an elevated risk in the development of such problems.
25% of all college students struggle with an eating disorder as specified by the National Institute Of Mental Health. It has increasingly been observed that this statistic is substantially growing among students in the last couple of years. This disorder is causing many students to turn to diet pill abuse in order to help them lose weight. Death and other health complications can occur because of this. Get more info about unhealthy eating behaviours and diet tablets overuse on college campuses.
Popular Drugs Among College Students
College pupils try any type of drug depending on the latest tendencies.
There are few mainstays among the abused substances that are always there throughout the decades. They are
- Alcohol is attributed to most cases of campus troubles that are related to substance use.
- It is also tricky to tell if a student is addicted to liquor or not because it is something that is used in many social events.
- Adderall also has the nickname of being a "study drug" and this medication along with some other stimulants is increasingly becoming popular with college students who are facing the pressure to meet all their academic requirements.
- As more and more states approve of the legal use of Marijuana, it has become increasingly common among college students.
- Marijuana beats alcohol consumption in some campuses.
- MDMA or molly is the pure form of ecstasy, this is a drug that was very popular in the 90s, and has recently been making its way back.
- Students in college are within the target age range for this "party drug" that is often abused by teenagers and young adults in their 20s.
- This party pill is increasingly popular among rave parties and concerts.
How Alcohol Affects Students
No other drug is more commonly abused by college students than alcohol. Drinking alcohol is extremely common in campus, as it is a part of every house party, student parties, and celebrations.
Alcohol is so common in college and its use rarely, if ever, is frowned at, and that's why college students as a group drink more alcohol than those who are of the same age but do not attend college.
Survey reveals that a staggering 80% of college students drink alcohol.
Data suggests that almost 50 percent of students who consume alcohol have indulged in binge drinking once or many times more. Unmoderated alcohol drinking is not only detrimental to the drinker but also to other people in terms of troubles and violence it causes. Discover more helpful information about excessive alcohol use and its effects on students and college campuses.
Greek Life And Misuse
The students in the Greek system tend to drink more than those that are not even though they have an environment that hinders them from doing that.
Members of a Greek system abuse drugs more than other students.
Seeking Assistance For Drug And Alcohol Abuse
There is always help for the students in higher institutions that are having a hard time to stop using alcohol or other forms of drugs. We have healthcare experts and counsellors who can take care of your needs in dealing with this predicament. Regain control of your life by contacting us on 0800 246 1509 about your substance abuse.