Allowable Things To Bring Inside The Treatment Facility
There are certain items that are not allowed in a rehab facility and so when checking in, you need to be sure which ones are allowed.
Treatment centres are enforcing stringent rules when it comes to contrabands and prohibited objects inside the facility. These prohibited items will be outlined in a form before come in so you are aware.
You will be required to check in after you arrive at the rehab and begin the process for the admission. The staff will carefully check your belonging to ensure you are not carrying any banned substance or item with you. Many inpatient facilities record the stuff you bring in their database in order to ensure none of your stuff is left behind when you check out.
However, all treatment centres allow you to bring in the necessities that are required. The policies on the kind of items you can carry will vary according to the centres.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
How To Know What To Pack
If you are not sure about bringing an item or have any questions about what you should be packing you should be having a look on the website of the rehab for a "what to bring" page. You can check the FAQs if such packing information does not have a dedicated webpage. The patients are also given hard copies with all the items listed. Calling the rehab centre is an option in case you can't find packing information anywhere on the site. The staff will guide you on this matter. You can also receive clarification on other policies or guidance about the admission process.
The Things That Are Necessities In Many Rehabs
The policy of every rehab centre is different, and some can be expected to be stricter than the others.
Please find below the endorsed items
- A list of names, addresses and telephone numbers of people you wish to have involved within your treatment [loved ones, healthcare professionals, twelve-step sponsors, etc.].
- Jewellery that means the most value to you just like an engagement or wedding ring.
- You should not bring costly jewellery items with you.
- A clock with an alarm but not one with radio.
- You may even get some of the items already in the rehab and so you may not require to come with yours.
- The medications that the patient will be using.
- It is recommended that all liquid medications be newly purchased and sealed.
- It is also important to provide a list of all your medications and prescribed quantities.
- Some money but not a lot of it.
- Your payment card in the form of debit/debit card or your check book.
- Identification cards and insurance cards where they are necessary.
- All the contact information that may be used in case of anything.
- Your personal journal.
- Stamps and envelopes if you need to mail post.
- Pictures of relatives and friends that you can have in your room or wallet.
- You will be provided with reading materials by the rehab centres chosen by you.
- If you wish to carry reading materials for yourselves, you must understand that the subjects must only be on the recovery, self-help and spiritually oriented.
- Small notebook are the best since they are not heavy.
What Attire Is Needed
You need to be aware of what clothes are permitted in the rehab you are going to. In case you are not aware about how the weather will be like, carry some summer as well as winter clothes with you.
Be aware that you shouldn't pack over the limits as your room could not be that spacious.
Patients enjoy access to common laundry machines and therefore clothing that will last you for 7-10 days will be more than enough. Bring everyday clothes that require no special washing process.
Some of the best type of clothing to bring along with you are
- Shoes Bring the shoes that you feel comfortable in .
- Shirts If you have tank tops you should also be looking forward to packing some cardigans to wear along with them to comply with the dress code of the centres.
- Shorts These also need to be suitable to comply with the centres dress code.
- Dressy outfits for special occasions like the family night will also be useful.
- Bathing suits a one-piece for women and trunks for men is usually enough.
- A jacket.
- A bath robe.
- A hat.
Hygiene And Beauty Products That Are Acceptable
All personal hygiene and beauty items have to be 100% alcohol-free in most rehabilitation centres. While other centres may allow you to bring products with alcohol component as long as it is not listed as one of the top three ingredients. Aerosols are not allowed
You should hygiene and cosmetic products that should last a month
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Hygiene products for women
- Shaving cream
Items Not To Take To Rehab
Almost all treatment centres have a list of forbidden items and they enforce a set of rules. This is because they might compromise the recovery process of the patient or even put their lives at risk. Please find below the list of objects that are forbidden, it may be different from clinic to clinic
- Drugs and alcohol
- Medicines that are not prescribed
- Weapons [guns, knives, sharp objects, scissors, etc.].
- Pornographic materials
- Food and drinks
- Alcohol based toiletries and personal effects
- Unapproved or previously opened OTC medications.
- Nail polish, polish remover and synthetic nail related products
- Video games and movies in any media
- Sporting equipment
- Revealing attire (tank tops, sleeveless shirts, midriff bearing tops, etc.)
- Cleaning agents like bleach or ammonia
- Electrical devices (televisions, gaming consoles, etc.)
- Games and playing cards
- Incense or candles
- Clothing with profanity or references to drugs, alcohol or violence
The items mentioned in this list could very well surprise you and lead you to believe that games like playing cards, video games, DVDs and sporting equipment are indeed safe. The idea behind banning them is to minimize distractions and help you stay focused on recovery. However, some of the rehabs could facilitate you to get these equipments on some days.
You will also find that food from outside and drinks are banned because the centres maintain a moderate sugar and caffeine environment. You will get all the meals that you need on a daily basis. You will have to inform the centre if you have any special dietary requirements or allergies.
Items Allowed In Some Rehabs But Not In Others
Each rehab has its own rules which may be different to that of another rehab. A lot of things are off limits in nearly all centres, but these items might be allowed in some
- Smartphones and Laptops
- However, the access of these items will be regulated as per the policy of your centre.
- Just don't forget to take the charger with you.
- Some facilities will allow you to bring in cigarettes if you are a smoker.
- A limit to cartons available at these centres is usually established.
- Vitamins and OTC Medications
- All the medicine should either be prescribed or new.
- Chewing gum
- They shouldn't have been opened before.
- Music Players
- Any electronic devices with no internet connectivity features are also allowed.
- Cameras are allowed by some treatment centres.
- Shaving Equipments
- This depends on the rehab facility since it is considered dangerous.
- Disposable razors are allowed in most cases.
- Nail Clippers
- Nail clippers may be banned by some centres, but this is not a common habit.
- Items To Make Your Room Feel Like Home
- The rehabs allow you to come with things that will make you feel as comfortable as possible just like you are at home.
- Before packing any of these items you should double check with the chosen rehab centres, whether they allow such items.
What Will Happen To A Contraband That I Brought With Me
In cases where you have brought a banned or prohibited item, just keep calm and cooperate. The personnel will just endorse it to your accompanying friend or loved one. Someone you trust can also come to pick them up from the facility. It is possible that the centre might store the item till your release day.
You are likely to travel alone if you are commuting by air and so there won't be anyone to take the prohibited items home. Make sure you review the regulations of your centre by calling them. In case you pack something, which is prohibited by mistake you will want to ensure that those items will be returned during some stage. In case the centre doesn't store them, request them to send the items to your home address.
Packing For Rehab Can Be Easy Read and stick to the policies of your centre; in case of a doubt, call them up. Facilitate the application process by reviewing the packing checklist of your clinic's website. Follow the general rule and try to pack light to keep it down to the necessities.
Reach Out For Help Today
You can guarantee yourself a more cosy life while in rehab thanks to the numerous clinics that let you do so. Our treatment specialists can provide you the assistance needed to find a centre best suited to your requirements.
We can help you find the best centre, call us today on 0800 246 1509.