What Should I Carry When Checking Into Rehab
There are certain items that are not allowed in a rehab facility and so when checking in, you need to be sure which ones are allowed.
Some items are prohibited in the rehab centres. These prohibited items will be outlined in a form before come in so you are aware.
The admittance procedure usually starts as soon as you get to the rehab. Part of the procedure is the inspection of your personal effects to make sure that there are no contrabands and other prohibited objects are smuggled in. A checklist is provided by some clinics to make sure no items are forgot once treatment is over.
Some are only allowing bare necessities into the facility. However, each rehab has its own conditions on what they allow and what is not allowed.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Looking For Packing Info
Have a look at the "What to Bring" section of your clinic's website you don't know what is allowed and prohibited or queries about packing. Alternatively, you can also look for the frequently asked questions [FAQs] section if the page mentioned above does not exist. The patients are also given hard copies with all the items listed. If you are still unable to find the information required you are advised to contact the admissions office of the rehab. You will have all of your queries and doubts clarified. At the same time, they can walk you through and guide you on what to expect prior, during and after admission.
What Most Rehab Centres Recommend You To Carry
The list varies from centre to centre.
Majority of centres advise patients to bring these
- Names, contact information, and addresses of people you want to be notified or involved in the process whenever required.
- Jewels like your wedding ring or a watch that you wear every day and deem as necessary.
- Except for the above you are advised to leave all valuables at home.
- You can carry an alarm clock which does not have a radio.
- You may even get some of the items already in the rehab and so you may not require to come with yours.
- The medications that the patient will be using.
- If you are taking a liquid drug, the bottle must be sealed.
- A complete list of your maintenance drugs and other needed medications.
- Some money but not a lot of it.
- Your check book, credit card and debit card for the payment of treatment medications are also allowed.
- Identification information.
- If you want to make long distance calls, bring a calling card with you.
- A notebook or newspaper.
- Stamps and envelopes if you need to mail post.
- Some picture of close relatives and friends.
- Most rehabs provide inpatients with books and magazines to read.
- Most of the items that are allowed should play some part in the recovery process.
- Small notebook are the best since they are not heavy.
What Clothing You Can Carry
Some centres have prescribed dress codes or limitations that you have to consider. In case where you are not sure, consider to bring articles that you can use in layering in case of cold weather.
Bear in mind that the space within your room could be limited, and therefore, you are advised not to over pack.
Laundry spaces are accessible in a facility so you can plan your clothes packing based on that amenity. Bring everyday clothes that require no special washing process.
Ensure that you bring following clothes and items that will make your week comfortable
- Shoes An everyday comfortable shoes, a training or sports shoes for fitness activities, and flip flops for showering
- Shirts You need to make sure you bring the shirts that are allowed in that facility, tank tops need to be accompanied by cardigans.
- Pants Comfortable pants fit for any occasion
- Shorts They should not be too small; check your centre's dress code.
- One or two smart dresses for special occasions.
- A bathing suit; At least one.
- A Jacket/Coat.
- A bath robe.
- A hat it is possible that the centres may not allow hats indoors.
Hygiene And Beauty Products To Take
All personal hygiene and beauty items have to be 100% alcohol-free in most rehabilitation centres. Some may allow you to bring products, which do not have alcohol within the first three ingredients that are listed. You will not be allowed to carry aerosols.
You should be taking along 30-day requirements of toiletries and beauty products, including
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Hair wash and care products
- Hair gels
- Products used mostly by females
- Shaving cream
Items That Are Prohibited In Rehab
All rehabs have strict rules and do not allow certain prohibited items within the centres. These are important to warrant a safe environment that is conducive to your wellness and recovery. These are the screened contrabands
- Alcohol as well as drugs
- Narcotics and prohibited prescriptions
- Food or drinks
- Toiletries and beauty products which contain alcohol (mouthwash, perfume, etc.)
- Electronic cigarettes
- OTC medicines that are not allowed and have been opened before
- Nail products
- Movie DVDs and games
- Sporting apparatus
- Sexy or revealing clothing
- Body sprays with strong cents
- Peroxide agents
- Electronic products
- Games and playing cards
- Incense or candles
- Drug related clothing
Playing cards, games and movies may be surprising contrabands for you but rules are rules. The idea behind banning them is to minimize distractions and help you stay focused on recovery. The centre houses most such items and you will enjoy access to them as per the guidelines of your centre.
Most clinics will prohibit food and drinks coming from outside as they don't respect proper sugar and caffeine quantities. You will get 3 main meals, along with snacks and beverages. You will have to inform the centre if you have any special dietary requirements or allergies.
Items Allowed In Some Rehabs But Not In Others
There are clinics that may permit items that are forbidden in others as every centre has its regulations. These are some of the items that may be allowed or not allowed in the facilities
- Your Laptop and Smartphone
- The laptops and pcs are restricted in some places while allowed in others depending on the rehabs policies.
- Just make sure that your chargers and power cords are brought with you.
- There are facilities that allow patients to bring cigarettes.
- Although you have this privilege, you are limited to a number of specified quantities allowed.
- Vitamins and Over-The-Counter Medications
- These products must be new and unopened.
- Chewing gums
- Gums too should be unopened and sealed during admission.
- Music Players
- You might be permitted to bring along entertainment devices that can work without speakers and internet.
- Shutterbugs can rest assured that some centres will allow cameras that are not Internet capable.
- Disposable or Electric Shavers or Razors
- This depends on the rehab facility since it is considered dangerous.
- Disposable razors, however, are more often than not allowed.
- Nail Clippers
- Nail clippers may be banned by some centres, but this is not a common habit.
- Additional Items
- You could be allowed to bring in your own bedding, pillows and some other stuff to make your room more comfortable.
- Don't pack any of these objects without contacting your clinic first.
Can I Have Prohibited Items Back Later On
Don't freak out if you bring along something forbidden after you get to the clinic. The forbidden objects that you carried to the clinic will be given back to the person who took you there. In case you got no one with you at the time of admission, they will hold the item for 24 hours until your representative can claim it. You may also choose to pick the after the session ends.
If you are traveling from a distant location and are arriving by air it is likely that you will not have a loved one with you during the admission to take the prohibited items back. You should check with the centre what items are allowed and what are not before packing. You would obviously want any prohibited items that you've brought along by mistake to be returned to you when you leave. They can either send them back to your place or keep them safe till the end of the recovery process.
Preparing Your Stuff For Rehab If you have doubts about some object review your clinic's regulations. The process becomes all the more simpler if you logon to the centre's website and save the packing checklist. Follow the general rule and try to pack light to keep it down to the necessities.
Get Assistance Today
You can guarantee yourself a more cosy life while in rehab thanks to the numerous clinics that let you do so. Look for top clinics that can suite your necessities with the support of our therapy experts.
Call us now on 0800 246 1509 for help in finding a centre.